August 20, 2007
I just noticed this on the Zonbu site, I don’t believe it is being pushed out yet:
Version 5.797 – released 2007-08-17
- Kiosk Edition: Zonbu can be used as a secure publicly accessible Internet terminal
- Improve video driver.
- Improve monitor detection again.
- Add support for iPods formatted with iTunes 7.3.
- improve support of iPods formatted on a Mac.
- Fix a problem with Yahoo Video in Firefox.
- Fix a bug in sound preferences.
- Fix bugs in cachefs throttling algorithms.
- Printing on a Windows shared network printer does not always work.
It will be interesting to see what exactly this addresses (MPEG Playback?) and whether or not some of the things like the missing fonts reference in the Image Editor have been fixed too.
August 20, 2007
Technology can be intimidating.
Too many choices and too many options mean that many average users are intimidated and discouraged when they try and buy a new piece of equipment; especially a new PC.
Talking to strangers
I’ve often found myself talking to complete strangers in Best Buy or CompUSA because they’re standing in the aisle, staring blankly at a shelf full of options, with no idea where to start.
Other times, a couple has three of four similar products in their hands, and they’re arguing about which one to buy with no clear idea what the differences are. Afterall, when you’re a couple, you can argue about anything.
In these situations I like to step in and offer my perspective, as someone of works with technology every day.
I’m what the marketers call a “technology influencer”.
You probably are too.
What do YOU think I should do?
We’re the people our friends and family turn to when they need to buy a new piece of equipment, or when they want to know if they should upgrade to Vista, or what printer they should buy.
We have a profound effect on the success or failure of new products like the Zonbu…
Read the rest of this entry »